Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cupertino quarry shooting suspect who killed 3, wounded 7 still on loose

A predawn bloodbath at a Cupertino cement plant Wednesday touched off a massive manhunt that spread through a Sunnyvale neighborhood, where SWAT teams in heavy body armor swept from house to house, frantically looking for the killer.

By the time darkness fell, three people were dead, seven more had been treated for gunshot wounds at hospitals and the shooting suspect, Shareef Allman, remained at large.

Allman, a 47-year-old heavy equipment operator at Lehigh Hanson's Permanente Cement Plant, had been in a safety meeting with more than a dozen co-workers when, police say, he pulled a gun from his waistband and began shooting. One of the survivors of the shooting told the Mercury News that Allman was under pressure at work after repeated accusations of driving recklessly at the quarry.

The shooting spree set in motion a daylong manhunt along the Homestead Road corridor separating Cupertino and Sunnyvale. Schools went into lockdown mode or told students to stay home, and residents nervously tried to figure out whether the gunman might be in their backyard as they watched police helicopters hover over the neighborhood.

With search dogs winding through creeks and around schools, the manhunt continued into the night.


Click your way to the Bank
 


No comments:

Post a Comment